Part Time Temporary Assistant Baseball Coach
Closing Date: 08/21/2014
Opens Thursday August 14, 2014
Closes Thursday August 21, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
Definition: This position is under minimal supervision of the Head Baseball Coach, directs, provides leadership under NJCAA operating bylaws and regulations. Assists with directing and coordinating all aspects of the development, management, and operation of a community college baseball program as per NJCAA rules and regulations. Assists with the coordination and collaboration of all recruitment activities to include the recruitment plan, recruitment activities, and website development via the IT Department. The Assistant Baseball Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Baseball Coach with the development of all goals and objectives, training strategies, and player behavior on or off the baseball field. Assists with planning events, coordinates publicity with LCC PR Coordinator and manages equipment and facilities.
1. Assists with organizing, preparing, and conducting team practices, oversees drills, provides one-on-one and group coaching during training.
2. Assists with preparing a recruitment plan that coordinates and collaborates with the LCC Admissions and Recruitment Department, strategies to recruit student-athletes in accordance with NJCAA regulations.
3. Attend recruiting events discussed in the recruitment plan; contact and maintain contact with potential student athletes.
4. Assists with the strategies for the LCC Baseball Program for success as stated in annual strategic plan.
5. Represents the baseball program to various institutional programs and externally to media, governmental agencies, students, parents, and the general public.
6. Follows all policies as stated in the Professional and Staff policy and procedure manual.
7. Assists with coordinating all transportation, meals, and lodging for the team.
8. Assists in supervising and monitoring of warm-ups, stretching, weight training, speed and agility, and arm training program; attentive to student athletes progress and adherence to the activities which comprise the program
9. Assists with student-athlete academic progress; supervises study halls and completes academic progress reports.
10. Advises and counsels student-athletes on academic programs to assure normal progress towards a degree.
11. Assumes responsibility on behalf of the Head Coach, when the Head Coach is not present.
12. Responsible for compiling, distributing, reporting, and maintaining all statistical information for teams and individual student athletes. Makes this information readily available to those who request it.
13. Organizes camps, clinics, and workshops pertaining to the athletes sport.
14. Coordinates all field maintenance activities with LCC Staff to ensure appropriate and safe field conditions for all practices, games, and events.
15. Rakes, sweeps, and picks litter, and trash from athletic fields.
16. Prepares fields which includes dragging the infield, chalking the field according to specified dimensions., watering infield, and setting bases.
17. Field Maintenance will include filling infield holes, chalking the field according to specified dimensions, watering infield, and setting bases.
18. Utilizes independent judgment in performing grounds maintenance activities.
19. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties and other duties as assigned by the Head Baseball Coach or Athletic Director.
20. Office hours are required
The characteristic duties and responsibilities section is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. The incumbent’s duties and responsibilities may be reasonably modified at Luna Community College’s discretion.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
• Knowledge in the development of Community College athletic programs.
• Knowledge in management and team building concepts.
• Knowledge in procurement and monitoring and development of a financial budget.
• Knowledge in NJCAA rules and regulations.
• Skills in weight and diet training concepts.
• Skills in field maintenance.
Three years of coaching, field maintenance, team development experience at the high school or community college level required. Bachelors degree preferred, or a combination of education and experience.
Salary is based on the LCC salary schedule and is commensurate with education and occupational-related experience. Standard LCC benefits apply.
Submit LCC application form, letter of interest, resume, unofficial transcripts (official transcripts required prior to employment) to:
Luna Community College
Rebecca Silva, Human Resourses Technician
366 Luna Drive
Las Vegas, NM 87701
Phone: (505) 454-2503
Fax: (505) 454-2520
Luna Community College is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. A pre-employment drug test may be required.