Employment Opportunities - Full-Time Student Success Specialist
Full-Time Student Success Specialist
Date Opened: 2021-12-13
Closing Date: Until Filled
PAY GRADE: 34
The Student Success Specialist provides support to a pre-selected group of students with enrollment, academic planning, registration and career planning; and also informs students of available services, and resources to increase academic readiness, progress, and success.
Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for maintaining a database to assist and support students, regularly checking academic progress, and providing follow-up and follow-through as needed.
• Participates in all required professional development training.
• Provides students current information and assistance regarding financial aid, career and academic planning, enrollment, registration, LCC resources, and program transfer opportunities and requirements.
• Promotes and supports the goals and objectives of the Strategic Plan and Student Success initiatives.
• Develops and manages a Student Education Plan (SEP) with each assigned advisee. Intervenes when students deviate from established plan. Monitors each student’s progression toward his or her academic and career goals.
• Researches student retention and completion data, and utilizes the data to make decisions regarding student success. Collaborates with other LCC personnel to develop departmental outcomes and plans for continuous improvement.
• Reviews grades periodically, performs a mid-semester check and meets with students who are experiencing academic challenges.
• Works with appropriate department(s) to remove registration holds/flags as needed.
• Adheres to LCC’s academic policies and procedures.
• Assists with New Student Orientation.
• Assists students throughout the recruitment and enrollment funnel, New Student Orientation, Add/Drop periods, and late-start classes.
• Administers, proctors, and interprets placement exams.
• Assists with student outreach activities.
• Assists students reported via the Early Alert System.
• Collaborates with faculty to support Early Alert students.
• Provides referrals and support for specific services depending on the student’s individual needs; and provides information and support to students on how to utilize relevant College resources.
• Collaborates with faculty and staff to develop guidelines pertaining to specific program areas.
• Collaborates with Distance Learning to provide online learning readiness assessments and trainings to departments in support of Student Success initiatives.
• Assists students in crisis to appropriate individuals as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
SPECIALIZED ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Although all Student Success Specialists will participate in all student support function, this position is responsible for maintaining expertise in the following specialized areas.
• Plans, directs, implements and evaluates career planning and job placement services.
• Designs and creates methods and information materials to promote awareness of career and placement services to students, graduates, faculty, employees and the community and ensures availability of timely information.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with business and industry for the purpose of job development and placement for LCC students and graduates
• Develops systematic processes for contacting LCC graduates, conducting surveys, compiling data and preparing reports on activities and placement success rates.
• Coordinates Career Planning and Placement activities with activities of other programs or departments, ensuring program delivery according to appropriate policies, procedures and specifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of student development and resources to promote student success
• Knowledge of education advising methods and techniques
• Ability to work with individuals in a group or individual basis
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments, faculty, students and the public.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work in an environment with frequent interruptions
• Ability to identify students’ needs for support services in order to make appropriate referrals
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Proficient in the use of computer software, including MS Office Suite and web related technology
• Excellent follow-up skills
Work Enviornment and Physical Factors
• Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The worker sits most of the time.
• The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading and visual inspection.
• The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Education, Experience and Licenses
• Bachelor’s degree and six months of experience in education or a combination of education and experience is required.
• A valid NM Driver’s License is required.
• One- year experience in Higher Education is preferred.
Luna Community College
366 Luna Drive
Las Vegas, NM 87701
Phone: (505) 454-2574
Fax: (505) 454-2520
LCC Application for Employment