Skip to content

LCC Student Complaint/Grievance Process

Students wishing to pursue the complaint process are encouraged to resolve the issue, if possible, at the “point of origin,” i.e., with the affected staff-person, faculty or department director. If the issue is still unresolved the student can file a formal complaint or grievance with the Student Success Center at Luna Community College. All formal complaints must be put in writing using the official LCC Student Complaint/Grievance form.

When filing a formal complaint/grievance, the following steps should be followed:

  • First attempt to resolve the issue by speaking directly with the individual involved. If the issue is unresolved after this, proceed to step 2.
  • Complete an LCC Student Complaint/Grievance form.
  • When the Complaint/Grievance is received it will be reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate individual or department based on subject matter.
  • After your concern has been addressed, you will receive a letter documenting the receipt and review of your complaint.

Grade appeals should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, pg. 48 of the LCC Catalog.
No anonymous complaints will be investigated or tracked.

If you have questions about the process you can contact Renee Maestas, Student Success Center Manager at or 505-454-5355.

What can I do if I am still not satisfied?

Student complaint process for non-distance education students: 

The New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) has authority to help facilitate resolution to student complaints, only after the student has utilized all internal complaint procedures at the educational institution. Please visit for more information about NMHED’s Student Complaint Process for non-distance education students. Complaints regarding grades and student conduct violations shall not be reviewed by NMHED.


Student complaint process for distance education students:

The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that sets national standards for interstate offering of post-secondary distance education courses and programs. Luna Community College is a NC-SARA approved institution and the New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) is the NC-SARA Portal Entity for New Mexico. Distance Education students attending Luna Community College who would like to resolve
a grievance should follow Luna Community College’s established Student Complaint Process. However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a NC-SARA complaint with the New Mexico Higher Education Department. Complaints regarding grades and student conduct violations shall not be reviewed by NMHED. Please visit for more information.